Re: [packman] [opensuse-factory] Fwd: commit libavutil for openSUSE:Factory
On 27 June 2012 08:58, Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When I discovered that the future xine-lib had a hard dependancy on
libavutil and that libavutil wasn't encumbered by patent problems
(August last year) I decided on a static lib built with xine due to
libavutil being part of ffmpeg.
The only safe way that I can see with a dynamic libavutil in factory
is for packman to also separate libavutil and  build a linked package
otherwise it will be a problem to keep them in sync. The Packman
ffmpeg maintainer will need to maintain openSUSE libavutil as well. I
normally run multimedia:apps with libxine-codecs from Packman. Ffmpeg
tends to change frequently and may cause unforseen problems if
libavutil gets out of sync. libxine2 itself needs libavutil the rest
of the ffmpeg libs  are used by plugin builds. IMHO the xine-lib
developers should include a static libavutil. Have a look at Debian
and Fedora for clues.

This is far from a "specific case". And AFAIK Debian packages the full
libav and Fedora doesn't package libxine 1.2, what clues should I look
for there?

I guess the basic question is: why is this different to the libxine
case? Packman doesn't make any effort to keep it in sync with openSUSE
version. And it even packages a binary incompatible version. What's
more, Packman already packages two binary incompatible versions of
libavutil!