Re: [opensuse-factory] New naming scheme for openjdk
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 03:13:44PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Tuesday 2012-06-26 14:33, Michal Vyskocil wrote:
The Java numbering is pretty much screwed up anyway. "Java2 7" is
actually *1*.7.0. (And SunOS 5.10 is Solaris 10.) Great work, Sun...
just drop the 1, and also drop the 0 since it does not seem to move
at all, which leaves us with openjdk7/jre7/java7-openjdk...

Fortunatelly no one uses java2 - it does not make any sense. But you
know, the main reason for change (1.5.0 -> 5) was MS .NET. Pretty much
same situation, like FF versus Chrome.

I just hope they one day realize that they have now exhausted all
advertising-worthy numbers. Firefox 13 just does not have the same ring as
"4.0" used to. In economical terms: abundance makes the value go down.

And we should keep to the general Linux credo of "same basename
for same package; plus a suffix of choice". In other words,
no jre7-openjdk, jdk7-openjdk, but openjdk7-jre, openjdk7-devel.

Sounds reasonable, even if I would like to change the -devel to -jdk.

I do not see a need to give in to the jdk name, or the "kit" hype.
We had java-1_*_0-sun-devel for as long as I can remember,
and everybody knows what -devel is about. Plus, "openjdk7-jdk"
sounds silly (like perl-Devel-devel would).

Hallo Jan,

I honestly disagree. I do not think the "we did it in a past" is a valid
argument in discussion intend to drop what we did in a past. IOW if we
change the naming scheme completelly, I do not see a need to stay with a
-devel just because we did it in a past.

My arguments for -jdk

* everyone knows what JDK is. At least in Java world and if someone
don't know what is it, he don't need it ;-)
* about "kit" hype - that's the specific problem of one vendor openjdk,
for (like IBM we have in SLE and I would like to have consistent
scheme everywhere) it makes a sense to have ibm-7-jdk
* -devel suffix has very specific meaning, and JDK matches with it only
partially

+ and as the existing provides (jre, java, java-devel) will stay
unchanged, nothing will change^Wbreak on rpm level - your package will
be compatible on source and binary level across various distributions
as now

Regards
Michal Vyskocil