Re: [opensuse-factory] New naming scheme for openjdk

On Tuesday 2012-06-26 14:33, Michal Vyskocil wrote:
The Java numbering is pretty much screwed up anyway. "Java2 7" is
actually *1*.7.0. (And SunOS 5.10 is Solaris 10.) Great work, Sun...
just drop the 1, and also drop the 0 since it does not seem to move
at all, which leaves us with openjdk7/jre7/java7-openjdk...

Fortunatelly no one uses java2 - it does not make any sense. But you
know, the main reason for change (1.5.0 -> 5) was MS .NET. Pretty much
same situation, like FF versus Chrome.

I just hope they one day realize that they have now exhausted all
advertising-worthy numbers. Firefox 13 just does not have the same ring as
"4.0" used to. In economical terms: abundance makes the value go down.

And we should keep to the general Linux credo of "same basename
for same package; plus a suffix of choice". In other words,
no jre7-openjdk, jdk7-openjdk, but openjdk7-jre, openjdk7-devel.

Sounds reasonable, even if I would like to change the -devel to -jdk.

I do not see a need to give in to the jdk name, or the "kit" hype.
We had java-1_*_0-sun-devel for as long as I can remember,
and everybody knows what -devel is about. Plus, "openjdk7-jdk"
sounds silly (like perl-Devel-devel would).