Re: [opensuse-factory] New naming scheme for openjdk
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:21:12PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Tuesday 2012-06-26 10:59, Michal Vyskocil wrote:

So the current jpackage.org compatible scheme is pointless and only
complicate things. I see a need to drop it and create a new naming
scheme for us (the compatibility can be maintain on a level of capabilities).

1.) have one $NAME for current version (openjdk7 in in 12.2) and if we
will need add a newest major release, but don't want to switch, we can
have $NAME-next with such major release.

2.) adapt gcc approach and have $NAME package, which will require the
proper packages with a versions.

I like the gcc approach very much, as there is a safe default
present (gcc46 in openSUSE_12.1 case while gcc47 was cooking).

However, I would not mind of openjdk - or gcc too - used a clearer
number separation: gcc-4_7-{c++,info,etc} just in case there is going
to be a 4.10.

The next question is what will be in a name? I've looked on what other
distros are doing ...

# RPM distributions
Most rpm distribution adapt the jpackage.org naming, so
java-1.$MAJOR_VERSION.0-$VENDOR (we used underscores instead of dots)

java-1.7.0-openjdk - the JRE
java-1.7.0-openjdk-devel - the JDK (java et all)

"et al.". For et alii/aliae/alia; not "& all the other losers" :)

Hi Jan,

thanks, thats my common mistake

The Java numbering is pretty much screwed up anyway. "Java2 7" is
actually *1*.7.0. (And SunOS 5.10 is Solaris 10.) Great work, Sun...
just drop the 1, and also drop the 0 since it does not seem to move
at all, which leaves us with openjdk7/jre7/java7-openjdk...

Fortunatelly no one uses java2 - it does not make any sense. But you
know, the main reason for change (1.5.0 -> 5) was MS .NET. Pretty much
same situation, like FF versus Chrome.

And we should keep to the general Linux credo of "same basename
for same package; plus a suffix of choice". In other words,
no jre7-openjdk, jdk7-openjdk, but openjdk7-jre, openjdk7-devel.

Sounds reasonable, even if I would like to change the -devel to -jdk.

Regards
Michal Vyskocil