Re: [opensuse-factory] New naming scheme for openjdk

On Tuesday 2012-06-26 10:59, Michal Vyskocil wrote:

So the current jpackage.org compatible scheme is pointless and only
complicate things. I see a need to drop it and create a new naming
scheme for us (the compatibility can be maintain on a level of capabilities).

1.) have one $NAME for current version (openjdk7 in in 12.2) and if we
will need add a newest major release, but don't want to switch, we can
have $NAME-next with such major release.

2.) adapt gcc approach and have $NAME package, which will require the
proper packages with a versions.

I like the gcc approach very much, as there is a safe default
present (gcc46 in openSUSE_12.1 case while gcc47 was cooking).

However, I would not mind of openjdk - or gcc too - used a clearer
number separation: gcc-4_7-{c++,info,etc} just in case there is going
to be a 4.10.

The next question is what will be in a name? I've looked on what other
distros are doing ...

# RPM distributions
Most rpm distribution adapt the jpackage.org naming, so
java-1.$MAJOR_VERSION.0-$VENDOR (we used underscores instead of dots)

java-1.7.0-openjdk - the JRE
java-1.7.0-openjdk-devel - the JDK (java et all)

"et al.". For et alii/aliae/alia; not "& all the other losers" :)

java-1.7.0-openjdk-src, demo, ... the rest

# Debian
Debian use quite complex scheme, there are virtual packages default-jre,
default-jdk points to proper version. Source package is named
openjdk-$MAJOR_VERSION (openjdk-7) and number of binary packages is
quite big

openjdk-7-jre - JRE using Hotspot VM (the standard one)

openjdk-7-jdk - JDK

openjdk-7-jre-zero - JRE using Zero assembler VM (extremly slow, but
extremly portable)

openjdk-7-jre-headless - the headless version, which don't require
X11, pulseaudio et all, but contains JIT

openjdk-7-jre-lib - noarch package contains some jar files for JRE

openjdk-7-demo, openjdk-7-doc, openjdk-7-source - unimportant files

icedtea-7-jre-cacao, icedtea-7-jre-jamvm are alternative virtual
machines (provides own jre/lib/amd64/cacao/libjvm.so files)

# Arch Linux

openjdk7-src - source package
jre7-openjdk-headless - headless version of runtime
jre7-openjdk - rest of the runtime
jdk7-openjdk - JDK

# Rest

* FreeBSD uses openjdk6 name for their port
* Gentoo have icedtea6/icedtea7 as a name

I'm looking forward on your hints

The Java numbering is pretty much screwed up anyway. "Java2 7" is
actually *1*.7.0. (And SunOS 5.10 is Solaris 10.) Great work, Sun...
just drop the 1, and also drop the 0 since it does not seem to move
at all, which leaves us with openjdk7/jre7/java7-openjdk...

And we should keep to the general Linux credo of "same basename
for same package; plus a suffix of choice". In other words,
no jre7-openjdk, jdk7-openjdk, but openjdk7-jre, openjdk7-devel.