Re: [opensuse-factory] Splitting deb?
  • From: Frank Lichtenheld <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:58:53 +0200
2012/6/25 Marguerite Su <i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Just do not touch update-alternatives package, even if it's quite
inconvenient, this needs to be packages in separate spec to avoid huge
build loops in Factory.
[...]
I think most of our users also feel confused they have to install deb
package instead of dpkg/debhelper, because no one tends to read our
packaging wiki first if he already tried packaging once on
Debian/Ubuntu.

Although that is somewhat mitigated by the fact that deb provides dpkg
and debhelper.
So a "zypper install dpkg" should already do the right thing.

Why not bind update-alternative and dpkg together, instead of deb?
When I worked on that deb package, I saw those are actually built
together.

See the note of Michal (cited at the top of this mail):
update-alternatives is packaged separately so that it can be built
early in a bootstrap cycle. dpkg has quite huge lists of
BuildRequires, some of which might require update-alternatives.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>