  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 22:18:21 -0700
On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 2012-06-15 07:16, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/14/12, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Let's discuss things very openly - I think we learned enough about where
the current model works and where it doesn't so we can develop a new one
together.

I hope I make sense here.  Please correct me where I am wrong.

How do we go about deciding what makes the next point version?  I
thought the reason openSUSE went to the 8 month schedule was to take
more time than a 6 month schedule allowed, but to get new versions out
sooner than yearly.

My recollection is that openSUSE was on a six-month cycle, there was a
two-month slip and it got institutionalized. Now we're on an
eight-month cycle, we need another two-month slip and we want to round
up to a year instead of institutionalizing ten months. ;-)

openSUSE institutionalized an 8-month cycle, while Fedora i14d a 6-month
cycle, but always slips by 2 weeks or so.

I think it was three weeks for Beefy Miracle - maybe four. ;-) I think
the answer is to define a core that can be delievered reliably on a
six-month cycle and call the other options "respins" or "community
projects". That's what Fedora and Ubuntu do. They limit project scopes
and deliverables and other standard software engineering "best
practices".

Fedora has more deliverables than openSUSE - we have a DVD, a NET
install CD, a GNOME LiveCD and a KDE LiveCD. They have a DVD, GNOME,
KDE, XFCE and LXDE CDs *plus* a raft of respins. Ubuntu has a bunch of
"deliverables" but really there are only two - the desktop and the
server CDs. Everything else seems to be a "community" project - XFCE,
KDE, LXDE, Edubuntu, ... To be honest, I think Linux Mint is also a
Ubuntu "community project". ;-)

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.