Re: [opensuse-factory] Build system solutions (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
  • From: Hendrik Woltersdorf <hendrikw@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 08:31:02 +0200
Am 23.06.2012 01:39, schrieb Graham Anderson:
On Monday 18 Jun 2012 11:56:57 Michael Schroeder wrote:
What gazillion stat operations? Are you talking about the scheduler?
Speeding up the scheduler doesn't decrease build time,
The source server + scheduler operate well until there's an unexpected
problem. I suspect the code doesn't matter, the architecutre is bad.

having too few packages to build is not a problem we need to solve...
Yet having too many packages seems to be a problem that OBS cannot solve.

About architecture: Last night I had "just an idea"; maybe for the far
future or even impossible...

Anyone remembers SETI@home ?

Could it work, to use the computers of willing community members or
sponsors for OBS build tasks in a way, the SETI@home project uses the
computers of many people and enterprises around the world ?

I have not enough knowledge about the current architecture, to evaluate
this. If it would be necessary to transfer a new virtual machine and ten
thousands of packages for every build task from the server to the
client, that would not work. But if I choose to install at my computer
an appliance for building packages for openSUSE 12.1 x86 or for Fedora
17 x86_64 and get only new/changed source packages for building ?

regards
Hendrik