Re: [opensuse-factory] The languished meaning of "maintainer" (was: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
On Thursday 2012-06-21 18:46, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

Robert Schweikert wrote in
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2012-06/msg00489.html :

I believe that an underlying issue to the overall state is the package
maintenance model. Look at any perl or python package in the devel
projects and you'll find tons of people listed as "maintainers" but
almost non of them is a "true" maintainer. Everyone of the listed
"maintainers" is inherited from some parent project and in the end no
one really feels responsible.

And in other cases, they feel overly responsible -- often without
telling.

I don't mind obvious one-liners, but Base:System/kmod was updated
without making an SR. That way I had no knowing nobody prepared a new
one and had made myself the work to update it to version 9, only to get
a "you must run osc up first" with naturally sufficiently conflicts when
attempting to check in. That sucks.