Re: [opensuse-factory] repository priorities with Tumbleweed
On 22 June 2012 11:52, Thomas Langkamp <langkamp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
what is the current suggestion of Greg KH to repository priorities running
Tumbleweed?
In the early days he suggested flat ones, over time more and more users
reported (in forums) that a higher one for Tumbleweed (or even a complicated
priority-hierarchy) works better.

I ask because I believe that my KDE "ksmserver wont start" error of this
morning might be related to this. It appeared after zypper dup this morning
(64 bit Intel Core2Quad) and won´t let KDE start.

So I gave Tumbleweed a higher priority, but that did not help. Maybe I am
doing something wrong? But even if my problem has nothing to do with the
priorities, please think about my request:

- add info on how to handle priorities on the SDB:Tumbleweed
- Or even better: Add an automatism to zypper/yast that automagically sets
the "right" priorities, while advanced users are still able to customize it

It's not like settings priorities was a big mystery. When two
repositories have different versions of the same package... set the
repository you want the packages from with a higher priority. Really,
the meaning of priorities is the one you would expect. Set them as the
common sense tells you to.