Re: [opensuse-factory] Current status of Live CDs
On 6/21/2012 2:45 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Brian K. White <brian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/20/2012 10:58 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Juan Erbes <jerbes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Now, when I have resolved the akonadi issues, moving the executables,
yet I found other similar crap, and it comes from gnome, and is the
tracker-extract which uses a lot of cpu and memory, with about 10
proceses. I do'nt know if it was installed as a dependency of
zeitgeist.

I prefer the old style of the findutils-locate, which is accesible via
console.

Regards,
Juan

I'm not sure of the exact connections between "zeitgeist" and
"tracker" just yet, but you're right - like Akonaid / Strigi /
Nepomuk, it's indexing certain parts of your filesystem the first time
it comes up for something called a "semantic desktop". It should be
suppressable for a LiveCD via standard GNOME configuration tools,
though. It should come up on an *installed* system and index the first
time the system boots.

On an installed 12.1 / GNOME3 desktop, type "tracket-preferences" to
get a GUI to adjust the settings. I don't know how to adjust the
settings in configuration files but I know there's a way.

Or, and don't kill me for playing devils advocate just trying to be fair and
complete, another option is, IF it is decided that the semantic desktop
feature is a valuable thing, then maybe it can be pre-indexed and canned, so
the livecd is already fully indexed when it first comes up.

Semantic desktop is definitely a good thing - just ask the folks who
build it. ;-) But seriously, there doesn't seem to be a hard business
case for it in the real world - Windows and Macintosh. The indexing /
search capabilites built in there do an acceptable job and something
"better" like Zeitgeist or Nepomuk is a dream. Of course, you can say
the same for the Linux desktop as a whole when you look at the
numbers. ;-)

Personally I do disable desktop/home/MyDocument indexing everywhere, windows, linux, etc. In my case it's just a bad trade-off. My machines are slower 100% of the time at 100% of their tasks, just so that .01% of operations .01% of the time can be maybe 50% faster.

If I had larger libraries of random documents and they were'nt already indexed by virtue of being contained in some db driven application, just a huge mass of utterly disorganized files, *maybe* then indexing my desktop makes sense. I'd probably have to live to be 400 years old before it becomes that much of a problem.

But that's somewhere between merely my personal preference and at best a different conversation about the virtue of indexers at all, where in this case I was only speaking within the scope of "We have some indexers, how to make them behave best?"

--
bkw