Re: [opensuse-factory] Current status of Live CDs
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM, DenverD <DenverD@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 06/21/2012 04:58 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Juan Erbes <jerbes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Now, when I have resolved the akonadi issues, moving the executables,
yet I found other similar crap, and it comes from gnome, and is the
tracker-extract which uses a lot of cpu and memory, with about 10
proceses. I do'nt know if it was installed as a dependency of
zeitgeist.

I prefer the old style of the findutils-locate, which is accesible via
console.

Regards,
               Juan

I'm not sure of the exact connections between "zeitgeist" and
"tracker" just yet, but you're right - like Akonaid / Strigi /
Nepomuk, it's indexing certain parts of your filesystem the first time
it comes up for something called a "semantic desktop". It should be
suppressable for a LiveCD via standard GNOME configuration tools,
though. It should come up on an *installed* system and index the first
time the system boots.

sorry, but i think Akonaid and etc should launch on live systems both when
and *if* the user wants such enough to click the buttons necessary to set it
up to launch..

as it is, the new-to-linux crowd have no idea how to reclaim the snappiness
they had with Windows (yep)! [survey the forums and note the multitude of
questions like "What is eating my CPU?"]

of course, i just disable/uninstall the offenders and install
findutils-locate.

anyway (imo) at very least a default cron should launch such speed-sinks
some time (30 minutes?) after system startup, and it should be launched with
nice, so that it actually is.

ymmv

dd

I'd be happy to test / measure that on my 4 GB workstation if there's
a chance that a "bug report" will be accepted. It's probably not going
to show up as "oppressive" on my 8 GB laptop. But I wouldn't count on
a "fix" making it into the 12.2 release unless it's a real bug, not
just "slow on older systems".

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.