Re: [opensuse-factory] Current status of Live CDs
  • From: Juan Erbes <jerbes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:05:09 -0300
2012/6/20 Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>:
On 19.06.2012 22:29, Larry Finger wrote:
This contribution is not discussing the relative merits of various
distributions. It is only reporting on the current state of the Live CDs.

At about 16:00 UTC on June 19, I did an 'osc update' of the Live CD
project and used 'osc build' commands to build the resulting Gnome and
KDE 64-bit Live CD images.

Both images built without error, and both booted with qemu-kvm. As
discussed earlier, neither image will fit on a standard 80 minute/700 MB
CD. The KDE version is 738 MiB and the Gnome one is 742 MiB, thus they
could be burned to a 90 minute/800 MB blank as long as the user has
suitable blanks and burning program.
Note that you build the unprofiled CD, which is much larger - the
profiled ones are below 700MB now.

The Gnome CD boots without problems using the standard 512 MB RAM
available with qemu-kvm (no swap space). With no swap space available,
the KDE version needs roughly 784 MB (712 MB is not enough).
The KDE one is *really* really bad as KDE creates tons of data in the
filesystem - which is in RAM. This is most likely due to the great akonadi

Akonadi...This crap is really needed???

I could not uninstall it completely, because it is linked to about half kde.

In my system, after installing opensuse 12.2 beta1, the cpu runned at
maximal speed, (4 cores) 3.2 GHz. If I do "ps -aux" in konsole, I got
about 3 screen of akonadi processes, and about 140 wats of power
consumption.

After moving to other directory the files /usr/bin/akonadi*, and
restarting the system, the cpu runs at 800 MHz, and the power
consumption, is about 110 wats (with lcd monitor and the adsl modem),
measured by the APC UPS.

Regards,
Juan

--
USA LINUX OPENSUSE QUE ES SOFTWARE LIBRE, NO NECESITAS PIRATEAR NADA Y
NI TE VAS A PREOCUPAR MAS POR LOS VIRUS Y SPYWARES: