Re: [opensuse-factory] Add Edit Feature to Yast Boot Loader using Grub2 for 12.2
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 09:14:36AM +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Josef Reidinger wrote:
[...]
Yes, this way is possible to write grub2 part of yast2 bootloader. But
it doesn't edit grub.cfg. It edits /etc/default/grub from which is
generated grub.cfg (so don't have full control for all configuration,
just subset that grub2 developer decide that you can modify). Grub2
allows even bigger configuration changes, but it contain changes in
generators and it is really tricky part.

That's retarded. Back to the yast1 days of shell script generated config
files? I thought we try to get of SuSEconfig and now we are introducing
a mechanism like SuSEconfig for the boot loader.
What's the killer feature of grub2 that's worth swallowing the bitter
pill of giving up sane yast support?

Those scripts are maintained by upstream and we could benefit from the
bug fixing from them. If we skip them then yast has to figure out
all details to create the config, that's duplicated effort and painful
as it's much more complex.

Thanks,
Michael

cu