Re: [opensuse-factory] Add Edit Feature to Yast Boot Loader using Grub2 for 12.2
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:49:13 -0400
Roman Bysh <rbtc1@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue 19 Jun 2012 12:39:23 PM EDT, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:22:57 -0400
Roman Bysh<rbtc1@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello all,

Is there a plan to expand the Yast Boot Loader using Grub2?
We would like to edit the /boot/Grub2/grub.cfg file.

The same way that we were able to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Cheers!

Roman
openSUSE -- Get it! Discover it! Share it!
http://linuxcounter.net/ #179293

Hi,
I don't expect it (but I am not maintaner anymore). Grub2 think that
you should not touch such file and this file is not easy to parse. It
is own scripting language that is generated by set of grub2 config
generators. If you are interested I can point you to some documentation.
Josef

Yes. I would be interested.

What about providing a kcm-grub module?
We just want the ability to edit the text label.

Well, if it is just limited subset of configuration options it is possible.
My sources are:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Configuration ( official
manual with described set of possible changes )
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 (user perspective side of configuration)
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Grub2 (more geek side, contain also changes to
generators )

Just note that grub2 change quite lot in configurain area, when I write mail
with possibility for yast2 module for it there is almost none options that can
be easily write.
Now there is a lot of options and it is quite funny, that it is quite similar
to /etc/sysconfig/bootloader that we already have for old grub and do automatic
generation from it like grub2 :)

Josef

--
Cheers!