  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:35:06 +0200
Jos Poortvliet wrote:

On Monday 18 June 2012 14:21:06 Sascha Peilicke wrote:
On 06/18/2012 12:07 PM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 18.06.2012 12:06, Per Jessen wrote:
Why should resource planning and project management and "what we
do" be
mutually exclusive? It seems to me that this thread is exactly
about a call for more resource planning and project management
such that we have a higher probability of achieving what we aim
for.

Resource planning sounds pretty cool to me. I guess a good first
step would be to have everyone who plans to work on factory in
the next year to sign up and block vacation days, so we can book
him.

Stephan, there's no call for that sarcastic tone.

Why should resource planning and sarcasm be mutal exclusive? Do you
want to be booked or not?

Guys... This tone-roughness-increase-proportional-to-length-of-thread
(not exclusively but definitely a openSUSE trade-mark) thing is
exactly what I wrote about (way) earlier this thread, sadly without
getting a single reply so far...

It can be hard to not act sarcastic if you feel people keep making
uninformed comments. Patience runs out at that point. To improve the
culture on our list, we need to work on both sides, I guess. Increase
patience and increase informedness.

I agree with all of those. Completely. I dunno if there's much anyone
can do about it though.

I've been running a business for about eight years - before that I was a
senior software engineer for about the same time. I know what it means
to lose patience with employees or team-members, but I also know how
much respect I lose when I take it out on those.

Of course, we could create a questionnaire which would be answered
before people could get access to this list:

- can you tell volunteers what to do?
- does 'project management' make much sense in a FOSS community?
- are my ideas unique and does everyone need to know about them?
- do I have to 'win' discussions by repeating my point without
listening? - will others do what I say if I just keep nagging them?

If any of the questions is answered with 'Yes', put them on the
alltalk@xxxxxxxxxxxx list instead.

I guess you missed my point about the sarcasm, Jos.

It would lower the amount of frustration and noise on this list and in
that way increase the quality of openSUSE considerably.

Somehow I doubt it. You _actually_ think less frustration and less
noise leads to more testing??

A more constructive idea might be to have a wiki page with 'how
openSUSE works' with a FAQ on the things that come up again and again
- including answering the questions I gave above. At least we'd be
able to reply to people just pointing to that page instead of being
sarcastic.

I'd be happy to draft something up.

Please do. That would keep you busy, which would surely mean less noise
here.

/Per Jessen
PS: sorry about losing my patience there.