Re: [opensuse-factory] Build system solutions (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Tuesday 2012-06-19 11:52, Stephan Kulow wrote:

Then why do we have rebuild="local" in factory's meta?

Aehm, why? To be able to test factory and not watch it rebuilding for
days like Greg has to?

You need to help me out, I have a knot somewhere... Obviously automated
repeated rebuilds are bad, but still needed at times. If rebuild="local"
is "rebuild a package only when its own source changes", how do we deal
with such things as SONAME bumps (at least those that don't cause a
compile failure due to changed API)? Do you, after all, manually look
over the packages?

Jan, I can write scripts too :)

Just inquiring. If your scripts call `osc rebuild` one time
once they see a failed state of some kind, I'd still call that manual.
(Because your scripts likely don't run on all projects marked
with rebuild=local - unless they are active by default in
build-service-2.x)

I don't see why "manual" is bad. In fact we should be perfectly aware
about an ABI/API change _before_ we check things in. Being ignorant
and relying on automatic rebuilds "fixing" things is even worse
than a concious "manual" rebuild.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <rguenther@xxxxxxx>