[opensuse-factory] Re: Post-12.2 Market Research / Planning (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 02:12:25 +0200
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

2. I think we need to package the major "big data" infrastructure
tools. Hadoop for sure, but probably damn near everything the Apache
Foundation maintains - Mahout, Cassandra, the UIMA natural language
processing infrastructure, etc.

For what?

-- Ed, is that your line of work, and do you think it's important
because you know it?
-- How large do you think the "market" is for that kind of
distribution?
-- You recognize that openSUSE is not a distribution that caters
for that market now, do you? So you argue for a change of
audience?

Do you want to see your wishes fulfilled, for a "perfect" openSUSE
distro for you -- or do you really argue for change that will be
good for the rest of the user community, too?

It's my line of work, FTR. None of my customers, which happen to be
big German banks and Telcos, would ever dream to run this on
openSUSE, hell would freeze over before that happens. (And all of
"big data" infrastructure is enterprise systems, I hope we agree to
that.) And -- all those Apache stuff is not well packagable anyhow,
since data center environments have so many different demands that
openSUSE won't fulfill them properly (audit-related) anyhow. Maven
3 goes to a model where every dependency is explicitly versioned
for a reason, not for joke.

Joachim