Re: Post-12.2 Market Research / Planning (was Re: [opensuse-factory] Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey,

On 17.06.2012 22:02, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

Briefly, you want to invest in *growing* markets and capture market
share of *paying customers*, not *users*.

How do you pay for openSUSE? :)

Henne

I'm guessing ultimately the paychecks for non-volunteers come from the
corporate side. And if openSUSE makes a major advance in a growing
market and achieves wider use, ultimately that advance will make it
into SUSE Linux Enterprise.

I'm not an accountant or attorney, and I certainly have no clue how
different the business environments are between Germany and the USA.
We aren't a foundation like Debian or Gentoo as I understand it -
we're a community supported by and supporting a corporation with some
set of rules dictated by laws of various nations and by "gentlemens'
agreements" on how the two entites co-operate. So are the other two
most popular distros, Fedora and Ubuntu.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.