  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 09:56:11 +0200
Nelson Marques wrote:

2012/6/15 Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Nelson Marques wrote:

I assume the same is true when it comes to internet speed and
bandwidth caps and usb thumb drives. Saying "8G drives are $6 is
actually kind of gross. That means, all those 4G drives you already
own are what? Throw them away even though you paid $30 for them?
Just gross.

You will never be able to provide a out-of-the-box solution for
every single consumer of openSUSE; You go for the majority... and so
far in countries like India, Brazil and others, optical media still
plays a major role where you don't have internet access. So nuking
away 9% storage that is available on optical media (either you use
it or not) just sounds a bit harsh for the sole purpose of allowing
4Gb sticks...

Well, I also payed almost 500€'s for my graphics adapter a few years
ago... Now it's pretty much obsolete... Yeah, it's gross to throw it
away now and pay 500€'s more for a new one which can rule on CRISIS
;) But sure... that's how it works... things get obsoleted. Deal
with it.

Yeah, of course we have to, but we also have to accept that just
because something appears to be obsolete in some places, it isn't in
others.

So you are basically agreeing with me... We shouldn't drop 9% of DVD
storage in images because DVD's are far from obsolete in many places ?

I thought the topic was CDs, but either way, we should stick to those
media as long as they are in use in some places where we expect to have
users.

Somebody today even mentioned booting from floppies, which is a
technology that is obsolete to most people, yet the harddisk
manufacturers remain glued to them for diagnostics and the
motherobard ditto for BIOS upgrades.

On the Desktop world all the boards I have from the last 5/6 years do
support flashing from the operating system (if windows), if not
windows it's not really that hard to make a bootable USB stick with
FreeDOS and get it flashed.

Yes, from Windows there's usually a separate utility, I also don't have
a problem with Proliant servers (HP Smart-Start CD), but otherwise it's
essentially back to DOS on floppies (even if you fiddle it to boot from
stick or CD).

As far as I'm concerned, xDSL is way obsolete

xDSL is probably not die so easilly because most countries already
have a copper wired infra-structure deployed for years, which is far
cheaper than installing phiber for example. Furthermore, you have to
consider that operators do give a damn about population density; There
is no country in the world than has full coverage on phiber ;)

I was very careful saying "as far as I'm concerned", as my Gemeinde has
deployed fibre to all households. Of course xDSL is not obsolete
elsewhere, far from it. I was trying to say that "obsolete" is often
in the eyes of the beholder, and that we therefore need to look a
little farther.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.1°C)