  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 21:47:28 +0200
On Friday 15 June 2012 18:01:57 Nelson Marques wrote:
Maybe, but you DO point to the importance of mentoring. And offering to
help is quite important, too ;-)

I do point the importance of mentoring because my past experiences
with the GNOME people on openSUSE were pretty much effective. Vincent
and Dominique always answered by questions and were always around to
help. That made possible that a person with nearly no experience could
pump a lot and improve quite fast.

That's why I brought this up. Without Vincent's and Dominique's help,
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't reach as far as I did. If the same is
applied on other fields, I do believe that as long as people are
willing to help and learn it can place a lot of synergies in workflow.

Absolutely. Mentoring will be crucial to get new people involved and up to
the level where they can help out with core issues. Basically, if a
maintainer says 'I have no time for mentoring' he's shooting himself in the
foot because that way, you never will.

Better miss an update, ship with something older now and have new
contributors next year than ship the latest and greatest for 2 years and
then retire with a burnout, leaving your package unmaintained ;-)