  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 21:41:35 +0200
On Friday 15 June 2012 13:40:07 Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Hey,

On 15.06.2012 11:50, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
As I've said before, neither Github nor our Forums are open source. The
registration for oSC will be done in Google this year - what's the
problem?
When users don't control the program, the program controls the users.
The developer controls the program, and through it controls the users.
This nonfree or “proprietary” program is therefore an instrument of
unjust power[1].

And because we value free software an open development process, openness
choice, standards, quality, transparency, our users and others and their
work[2].

So, yes this does matter for our community and yes this is something to
factor in (not lightly) for your decisions of which software you use for
any purposes.

Please never forget, we are a free software project :-)

Sure, I factor in that we prefer open over closed. In this case, and used
wisely, I don't see a huge issue. We're talking about a web interface over a
bunch of tools we maintain ourselves - just some convenience and good looks.
Nothing hugely crucial. And I would only want to use it for some of our
stuff - say the livecd's we offer, not the main DVD or the rest of our
software. I'm just saying - let's be practical, as we usually are, and make
sure to offer our users the best our ecosystem has to offer.

/Jos

* Sure, I'd prefer using piratepad over Google Docs if it was stable enough.
But it isn't and if it's a choice between using something very much inferior
(say a wiki) or Google docs if I want to collaboratively write a doc, I'd go
for Docs. As long as you're concious of the fact it's not open and make sure
you don't depend on it for anything crucial, pick the rational solution.

Re-building Studio ourselves seems like a silly waste of time - and I again
won't suggest to rely on it as the only way we ship software. We do and
always should generate our most important stuff with Kiwi and put it on
mirrors for people around the world to distribute and download.

But offering some of our stuff (say the KDE & GNOME liveCD's) for
modification & download in Studio seems like a logical thing and the fact
that Studio isn't open doesn't seem so crucial to me at that point.

Henne

[1] www.fsf.org
[2] Guiding Principles