Re: [opensuse-factory] Build system solutions (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
  • From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 19:51:07 +0200
Am 15.06.2012 15:53 schrieb Greg KH:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 08:52:32AM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 15.06.2012 08:25, schrieb Carl-Daniel Hailfinger:
I've yet to see a real PCIe SSD (i.e. not a PCIe card with some SATA
controllers and SATA SSDs onboard) which is supported by a mainline
Linux kernel and I've talked to quite a few vendors. FusionIO and others
offer binary-only kernel modules for their SSDs, but I wouldn't want to
use binary-only drivers anywhere, especially in OBS.
Agreed.[...]
I already wondered about something being seriously wrong with gregkh
promoting proprietary stuff... :-)
Look at the Micron PCIe devices, they use an in-kernel driver, and beats
the Fusion IO cards on some benchmarks (and not on others, there's
always trade offs). I think there are also other companies with open
drivers for their devices, but I am not that familiar with all of them
at the moment.

Sadly, the Micron PCIe drives without intermediate SATA controllers are
not available for purchase (listed as "sampling" quantities). AFAICS the
same problem exists with pure PCIe OCZ drives.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel