Re: [opensuse-factory] Build system solutions (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)

On Friday 2012-06-15 15:53, Greg KH wrote:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 08:52:32AM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 15.06.2012 08:25, schrieb Carl-Daniel Hailfinger:
I've yet to see a real PCIe SSD (i.e. not a PCIe card with some SATA
controllers and SATA SSDs onboard) which is supported by a mainline
Linux kernel and I've talked to quite a few vendors. FusionIO and others
offer binary-only kernel modules for their SSDs, but I wouldn't want to
use binary-only drivers anywhere, especially in OBS.

Agreed. And then those beasts are really expensive. My customer simply
runs stuff out of tmpfs -- even faster than the FusionIO and no binary
crap needed

[...]
Yes, using tmpfs is faster, but you loose the persistance when power
goes off, and usually you don't have that much ram on your system :)

Since when do you need power-persistence for build roots? :)

I have tied a tmpfs to /var/tmp/jng-openSUSE_12.1-x86_64 and
factory-x86_64 so that at least the majority of my `osc build`
invocations run accelerated. I can't say I see much difference to a
system where /var/tmp is part of a SSD.