Re: [opensuse-factory] Build system solutions (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 08:52:32AM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 15.06.2012 08:25, schrieb Carl-Daniel Hailfinger:
I've yet to see a real PCIe SSD (i.e. not a PCIe card with some SATA
controllers and SATA SSDs onboard) which is supported by a mainline
Linux kernel and I've talked to quite a few vendors. FusionIO and others
offer binary-only kernel modules for their SSDs, but I wouldn't want to
use binary-only drivers anywhere, especially in OBS.

Agreed. And then those beasts are really expensive. My customer simply
runs stuff out of tmpfs -- even faster than the FusionIO and no binary
crap needed (there's e.g. no way to get real enterprise distro support
for those FusionIO things)

I already wondered about something being seriously wrong with gregkh
promoting proprietary stuff... :-)

Look at the Micron PCIe devices, they use an in-kernel driver, and beats
the Fusion IO cards on some benchmarks (and not on others, there's
always trade offs). I think there are also other companies with open
drivers for their devices, but I am not that familiar with all of them
at the moment.

And yes, FusionIO does not have open drivers, I wouldn't recommend them
on that point alone.

Yes, using tmpfs is faster, but you loose the persistance when power
goes off, and usually you don't have that much ram on your system :)

thanks,

greg k-h