  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 14:30:21 +0200
Brian K. White wrote:

On 6/14/2012 10:39 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Brian K. White wrote:

On 6/13/2012 3:45 PM, Nelson Marques wrote:
DVD is most likely the nicest media to share on events and
specially in places/people which don't have broadband. I don't
believe it should be touched.

It is possible to burn ISOs which are only 3995000000 bytes sized
onto a normal DVD-R medium, no problem.

Considering that most people agree that the LiveCD should move to
1GB, it sounds weird to shring the DVD media in 9% because of 4Gb
USB sticks where in the civilized world a 8Gb USB stick goes for
less than 6€'s (5.99 on Media Markt). Makes absolutly no sense to
me... And in those cases where people might not have broadband to
download and require optical media (like a DVD) you are nuking away
9% of the available storage because... well... someone thinks
people use 4Gb sticks ;)

Sounds like the perfect strategy to me :)

I only ever use PXE to install or repair anymore. Anywhere in the
civilized world old pc's and new netbooks are cheap and plentiful to
run pxe servers on, so it makes absolutely no sense to me why we
even bother with cd's or dvd's or usb sticks, everyone should just
have a pxe server and a full rsync mirror of the full suse ftp site
;) Sounds like the perfect strategy to me :)

That's what I do too, although I leave it to squid to cache the
repositories. Works very well, except in some corner cases where PXE
booting doesn't work or isn't supported.

I do in fact boot most new installs and even remote repair/rescues
from pxe, but you realize I was actually just joking to make a point
right?

Kindof, although a little late.

I happen to be well outfitted to use pxe in most cases. I have
numerous pc's and servers and netbooks and appliances all over the
place, and I'm comfortable setting up the dhcp and tftp and http
servers and configuring all 3 to work together to make a working
boot/install system. That does not make it anywhere near a reasonable
expectation for everyone, or even a large percentage of everyone.

Agree.

These days I boot all my servers from usb (for normal running, not for
installing or rescue) because the hard drives are all software raid
using the whole drives no partitions, and I have to fight like crazy
with each new motherboard to figure out just what magic secret recipe
makes that particular motherboard boot reliably from usb.

Over the last year or two, I've been slowly moving toward booting from
PXE. With a couple of exceptions, most of our servers are now booting
from PXE.

But it is still a fight and nothing remotely like the universality of
a cd. If I had to give 1000 boot disks to 1000 strangers, it would
absolutely be a cd or dvd and not a usb even if the usb's were free
and the cd's were $.50 each.

+1

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (24.2°C)