  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:07:31 +0200
On Friday 15 June 2012 11:50:03 Per Jessen wrote:
Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Hey,

On 15.06.2012 08:16, Sven Burmeister wrote:
If you do not like it or are not able to enforce responsibility
then...

Just for everybody to remember. That is at the heart of openSUSE. We
try very hard to enforce as little as possible :-)

So we'd better skip having rules too :-)

As little as possible, as Henne just said somewhere else in this thread - we
should have as little as possible. No less than that - however.

Just like the freedom of my fist ends where your nose starts, my fun should
stop where yours ends. Just like freedom can only be excercized if it is
being protected, so can fun only be had if an environment is created and
kept for it.

You can have the freedom to walk through that dark alley at night, but if
you have to be afraid of it, that freedom means little and having rules
(police) overseeing your safety means a net gain in freedom, not a loss.

Being an ass to others or annoying everyone on a list might be fun for the
individial doing that - but the whole community suffers. Preventing that
means more fun for all, not less.

It's a paradox, I know - in reality it boils down to having a balance. And
if we can have that balance without having rules, that'd be great - if we
all try to be nice to each other we don't need moderators crackin' down on
us* and can keep it rule-free :D

But we're going a tad off-topic :D

*Oh, I'm being an ass sometimes too, don't think I'm an angel here, or
'without sin'.