Re: [opensuse-factory] Build system solutions (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
  • From: todd rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:40:29 +0200
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 14.06.2012 23:15, schrieb Greg KH:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 09:48:30PM +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2012, 12:34:44 schrieb Greg KH:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:46:32AM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
3. As working more strictly will require more time, I would like to
  either ditch release schedules all together or release only once a
  year and then rebase Tumbleweed - as already discussed in the RC1
  thread.

I like this idea, for a variety of reasons :)

But, before that can ever happen, we need two big things to be solved:

 1) Build system speed
      I speak as someone who builds stuff a lot, probably second only to
      Factory.  The build system speed sucks.  Badly.  Now I know we are

yes, we need to become faster. We have multiple ideas atm how to approach
it, we just need some time for it ...

Nice, any pointers to where these ideas are?

No, we do not record lunch conversations :)

What we work on:
[snip]
 - prebuilt images to speed up the initial package installation
  (also for smaller jobs)

It would be great if there was a way to define these on a per-repo
basis. Essentially an "make an image with these packages, and all
their dependencies". For repos like devel:languages:python and
devel:languages perl, where pretty much every package depends on their
respective language interpreters, or something like KDE:Distro:Factory
where pretty much all packages depend on the Qt libraries, this could
be very useful.

-Todd