Am 14.06.2012 23:42, schrieb M. Edward (Ed) Borasky:

2. Move everything else: compilers, desktops, applications, advanced
server technologies like Node.js and NoSQL databases and
virtualization infrastructure - to a rolling release similar to
Tumbleweed or Gentoo.

A user basically never needs a new compiler or glibc or such -- that's
more or less a "developer only" feature.

And I think the kernel needs to be *out* of
Tumbleweed. If you're doing kernel testing / development, you're not a
user any more. ;-)

Users buy new hardware. New hardware needs new kernels. No new kernel ->
users unhappy.

I've pissed away *way* too many hours recompiling
VMware Workstation, VirtualBox and NVidia driver modules.

Well, don't user proprietary crap, then :-)

I never recompile VMware and NVidia drivers, and the Virtualbox guest
modules rom 12.1 work just fine on the VM running on a Windows host.
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!"