  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 22:16:25 -0700
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/14/12, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Let's discuss things very openly - I think we learned enough about where
the current model works and where it doesn't so we can develop a new one
together.

I hope I make sense here.  Please correct me where I am wrong.

How do we go about deciding what makes the next point version?  I
thought the reason openSUSE went to the 8 month schedule was to take
more time than a 6 month schedule allowed, but to get new versions out
sooner than yearly.

My recollection is that openSUSE was on a six-month cycle, there was a
two-month slip and it got institutionalized. Now we're on an
eight-month cycle, we need another two-month slip and we want to round
up to a year instead of institutionalizing ten months. ;-)

Basically, i would recommened scrapping this milestone stuff & go back
to alphas/betas/Rcs,

First, we need to decide if we want dated releases like Fedora and
Ubuntu or if we want "release when near-perfect" like Debian. I don't
know that this decision has been made, nor even what criteria should
be applied. Once we have a strategy, the rest is "just software
project management".

Now, I like the tumbleweed idea.  I would like so see more work to
move updates to like KDE4 or GNOME3 that are put in their own
repos(that I've always felt most users don't add or make use of -
mainly because they aren't aware of them.  Maybe they should be asked
if they want them during the install?) moved into Tumbleweed so the
seperate repos aren't neccessary for most users(which may be the case?
 I haven't tested Tumbleweed out yet).

Just my 2 cents - not technical, but a user/tester perception.

openSUSE used to put a lot of effort into customizing GNOME and KDE; I
think that was misguided but you do need *some* branding. I think
Ubuntu's Unity is ghastly - a grotesque set of "fixes" for something
that wasn't broken - GNOME3. ;-)

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.