On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I could be wrong but susestudio is not open source, and it is backend
kiwi is opensource which can be used with OBS and that is what coolo is
using for the live CDs.

Right - SUSE Studio is not fully open source and Kiwi is. I think
there could be an open source version of SUSE Studio maintained by the
community for the community, though. That's a matter of negotiation
between Attachmate and the community should it be desired. There must
be people in the liaison between the two entities that could help if
we decided we want our own studio.

And this does not solve the current problem, on the other hand debian
approach sounds good and rather than following fedora for a change let's
look at others like debian for stability or arch for a rolling release

There are two "current" problems:

1. 12.2 must slip because there are too many show-stopper bugs and
there were two disk crashes in critical infrastructure.

2. Some of the 12.2 release media don't fit their allocated physical
medium size.

But the longer-term strategy isn't clear and there's dissatisfaction
in the community. I agree with the poster who said on another thread
that we're trying to do too much and not doing some things acceptably
well as a result. But my sense is also that people who just want to
get stuff done and not participate in depth in a development community
are using Linux distros like Fedora, Mint and Ubuntu for desktops and
CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu for servers, rather than openSUSE. Sadly, if
you're not in the top three, you don't exist.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.