Re: [opensuse-factory] HALLO - ANYBODY OUT THERE? [WAS About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)]
On 06/14/2012 12:19 AM, Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 13. Juni 2012, 17:25:40 schrieb Lew Wolfgang:
On 06/13/2012 03:24 PM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 19:26 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
The use of USB sticks is really not something to be seriously
considered. Not everyone has the ability to use this medium.
percentage?
I don't know the total percentage, but the US Department of Defense has
banned usage of memory sticks on DoD owned systems since 2008. External
USB rotating disks are also banned unless pre-registered and scanned for
malware. This certainly affects many hundreds of thousands of computers, a
non-trivial percentage of which are running openSuSE. I can't comment on
the
rationality of them doing this, but it is what it is.

Of course they are doing this for security reasons, and I bet that many
private companies have similar bans.
They block (booting from) USB-stick but allow to boot from CD? Does not make
sense to me from a security point of view.

Sven
Come on how many times does the DoD install new operating systems? I am sure it won't be openSUSE maybe there own based on the linux kernel. so using the DoD belies all logic