Re: [opensuse-factory] HALLO - ANYBODY OUT THERE? [WAS About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)]
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:09:44 +0200
Greg Freemyer wrote:

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:

6 days ago I wrote:

/quote

Re the medium to use.

The use of USB sticks is really not something to be seriously
considered. Not everyone has the ability to use this medium.

I did see that, but I couldn't imagine who it is that cannot boot
from a USB stick?  I actually have some elderly systems that can't,
but those are the exception and they're quite close to ending up on
ebay.

I mean, even my Philips picture frame has a USB socket, if it would
run Linux I'm sure it could boot from USB too :-)

I totally disagree based on real world experience.

Having a usb port does not mean usb booting is supported.

Completely agree Greg, lots of devices with USB ports can't boot from
them - mobile phones, digital cameras, my keyring picture frames ;-),
but are there really a _significant_ group of Linux-capable boxes that
cannot boot from USB? I know I have some elderly Compaq Proliants and
an even older IBM Netfinity that can't, but those are hardly
interesting when we're talking about the Live CD.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.8°C)