Re: [opensuse-factory] HALLO - ANYBODY OUT THERE? [WAS About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)]
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 16:43:35 +0200
Lew Wolfgang wrote:

On 06/13/2012 03:24 PM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 19:26 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

The use of USB sticks is really not something to be seriously
considered. Not everyone has the ability to use this medium.
percentage?

I don't know the total percentage, but the US Department of Defense
has banned usage of memory sticks on DoD owned systems since 2008.
External USB rotating disks are also banned unless pre-registered and
scanned for malware. This certainly affects many hundreds of thousands
of computers, a non-trivial percentage of which are running openSuSE.
I can't comment on the rationality of them doing this, but it is what
it is.

Of course they are doing this for security reasons, and I bet that
many private companies have similar bans.

Sure, but usually it means ALL external media have been banned and
interfaces either removed or sealed. Ie. not just USB sticks, but CDs,
DVDs, floppies, firewire and what have you. Well, that's what is was
like at a <large London building society> where I worked in the 90s for
a while.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.4°C)