  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 16:39:12 +0200
Brian K. White wrote:

On 6/13/2012 3:45 PM, Nelson Marques wrote:
DVD is most likely the nicest media to share on events and
specially in places/people which don't have broadband. I don't
believe it should be touched.

It is possible to burn ISOs which are only 3995000000 bytes sized
onto a normal DVD-R medium, no problem.

Considering that most people agree that the LiveCD should move to
1GB, it sounds weird to shring the DVD media in 9% because of 4Gb USB
sticks where in the civilized world a 8Gb USB stick goes for less
than 6€'s (5.99 on Media Markt). Makes absolutly no sense to me...
And in those cases where people might not have broadband to download
and require optical media (like a DVD) you are nuking away 9% of the
available storage because... well... someone thinks people use 4Gb
sticks ;)

Sounds like the perfect strategy to me :)

I only ever use PXE to install or repair anymore. Anywhere in the
civilized world old pc's and new netbooks are cheap and plentiful to
run pxe servers on, so it makes absolutely no sense to me why we even
bother with cd's or dvd's or usb sticks, everyone should just have a
pxe server and a full rsync mirror of the full suse ftp site ;) Sounds
like the perfect strategy to me :)

That's what I do too, although I leave it to squid to cache the
repositories. Works very well, except in some corner cases where PXE
booting doesn't work or isn't supported.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.4°C)