  • From: todd rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:58:25 +0200
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 14.06.2012 14:44, todd rme wrote:
Currently as far as I am aware you are either a maintainer or you have
to go through a maintainer, which leaves people who want to help a lot
but not enough to really be maintainers either improperly as
maintainers or swamping the maintainers with tons of requests.
Perhaps a solution might be for there to be a second class of users
for packages and projects, maybe "Contributors", who have access
rights to improve the package or project because they make substantial
contribution but are not considered dedicated enough to be
"maintainers".  This would help clarify the role of users in the
package and project.
Actually this is already the split between bugowner and maintainer, the
project maintainers are normally only added as fallback maintainer to
the package "bugowner". But what happens in many projects (not in all,
some work great still) is that the project maintainers see so many
requests they are not interested in *right now*, that they tend to
ignore just about everything IMO.

I am not sure I was clear with what I meant. What I am saying is that
for both projects and packages, there should be a type of user who is
below a maintainer/bugowner but still has access rights to the
project/package, that is someone who does enough good work to deserve
that sort of access, but not enough to really be considered "in
charge" of the project/package like the maintainer/bugowner is.

-Todd