On 14.06.2012 14:00, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:

I am not trying to add noise to this discussion, I just thought that
this suggestion should have more attention.
Sorry if I didn't make any arguments to support this, so here they are:
Thank you for investing some more time to give your arguments.

I have tried beta1 on both virtual environments and through live cd's
and I realize that there are many problems and issues unresolved at this
point (zypper-yast, grub 2, kde). The most annoying for me was the grub
installation that failed everytime under virtual box. I totally agree
with you about not wanting to release RC1 yet.

At the same time I must share the feeling I have that Tumbleweed seems
to be very stable for a long time. At least to the part I am actively
involved (Application:GEO) I can see that it could be used as a base to
a new release, since we are getting fewer failures on the long run.

I understand on the other hand that having a move to a rolling model
would be more demanding, and as GregH stated he would need more man
power on this. Plus there might be an issue on kernel updates versus
application updates. I am also worried how this would work for server
installations (that I also have to maintain).

This is a *bit* unfair, no? Of course the zypp in tumbleweed continues
to work, because it didn't change - nor did the toolchain or anything
but the kernel below it changed.

So yes, tumbleweed works and tumbleweed is a very good replacement for
people who want up to date software while not suffering the 100 repos
problem, it's still not a replacment for openSUSE releases with new
toolchains.

Greetings, Stephan