Re: [opensuse-factory] About the Live CDs
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:20:48 +0200
Felix Miata wrote:

On 2012/06/13 10:48 (GMT+0200) Per Jessen composed:

the bigger problem is they're too tiny to legibly label what
they contain. I don't foresee a solution for that media management
problem ever happening.

How about: combine everything

Do you have a problem the concept of media management?

No, my openSUSE media management problem was solved by combining
everything on one stick. I thought you were having an issue because of
the difficulty of labelling a USB stick with sufficient information?

Maybe you live in an environment where there are under a dozen or so.

I do, it's a regular office+datacentre.

Here it's more like a public library, thousands of user-written OM,
all of which need to be identifiable externally. It's bad enough with
OM that there is little or no spine space for labeling, but with
sticks there's virtually no space of any kind for legible external
labeling, no way to organize and locate whichever media is required of
the moment.

"thousands of disks" - sounds like one of those corner cases we
shouldn't be trying to fix.

on a single USB stick (or one per
location/office), and have a boot-menu system to help you pick what
you need.

Like http://ultimatebootcd.com/ or http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
or similar? That doesn't sound workable for KISS or rescue
environments. Users couldn't just add one iso from foo, another from
bar, a third from baz, all on one stick, could they?

Yes, essentially (*) they could - that's what I do. It's basically a
syslinux boot-menu with chain-loading to whatever you need. I cobbled
up my setup myself, but I think http://plop.at/ would help here.

(*) okay, perhaps not "just" add an iso, but anyone requiring a
collection of sticks with different openSUSE images will probably have
the necessary skills.

Some higher power would have to create these complexities, not to
mention decide what they include and exclude. They'd surely be much
bigger than 700 or 1000MB downloads. And still there's the external
labeling problem, only bigger, with yet more that can't fit.

Well, I wasn't proposing this as a general solution for openSUSE, only
as a solution for those who have a problem with having multiple sticks
with little or no labelling.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.4°C)