Re: [opensuse-factory] inappropriate hard dependancies on mail?
On 13.06.2012 23:30, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 13/06/12 14:18, Felix Miata escribió:
I tried to remove all of procmail, sendmail and postfix with zypper rm.
Zypper wanted to remove 42 packages, to wit:

Most (all?) of KDE3
nmh
xf86-input-*
xf86-video-*
xkeyboard-config
xmh
xorg-x11
xorg-x11-driver-*
xorg-x11-server

Can it not be (a) bug(s) that so much requires mail be installed?

This is part of the legacy of *nix, systems require an MTA installed
even if not used.

It happends because there are applications that are only able to deliver
mail with /usr/sbin/sendmail.

Yes, I see it as a bug, No.. it is not easy to fix.

That's not really true, most desktop systems do not need an MTA, e.g. Ubuntu has hasn't included a MTA in their desktop default install for years and Fedora has taken steps to remove it as well [*]. Even from the command line mutt or mailx nowadays support SMTP directly.

* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NoMTA
--
Guido Berhoerster