Re: [opensuse-factory] simplicity, WAS: About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:39:59 +0200
On Tuesday 12 June 2012 21:51:42 Nelson Marques wrote:
Nobody is - unless we can put in significant effort in one or the other
desktop, it doesn't matter much and we better stick with both. IF we
would
Totally agree, both and then some more... freedom of choice is tightly
related to offer and availability, not to scarcity ;)

If we had the resources to do a really outstanding job on either GNOME or
KDE, and I'm talking the equivalent of at least 2-3 full-time jobs, be it in
volunteer or paid form, we could think about something like clearly adopting
that one as standard (not just the radio button pre-selected but advertise
it as such in marketing etc).

be capable of doing something akin to what Ubuntu used to do to GNOME
(before Unity), either to GNOME or KDE - then, yes, focus would be nice.
But until that day we should keep the choices close to the users.

Honestly, buy the challenge and drop GNOME. In a few years let me know
your conclusions, if you earned or if you loss users.

Dropping is of the table anyway, we want to provide choice - but we can put
more focus (in marketing and engineering) on one of the two.

I'd recon we'd loose some people no matter what choice we make but that's
how choices work. Doesn't mean making a choice is bad, just that it has
consequences.

Imho :D