Re: [opensuse-factory] HALLO - ANYBODY OUT THERE? [WAS About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)]
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:37:59 +0200
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The use of USB sticks is really not something to be seriously considered.
Not everyone has the ability to use this medium.

The other side of the coin... I cannot use CD on any of my computers
as none of the laptops have a CD/DVD player. My main PC had a DVD
player, but no longer. For my computers, USB is the only way for me
to install any OS including Windows.

So.. not everyone has the ability to use a CD :-)

There is little difference in downloading an iso which is ~800MB big which
can be burnt onto a SL DVD to one which is ~740MB and intended to be burnt
onto a CD.

This is probably the key point here. Keep the ISO as small as
reasonably possible, but don't focus so much time and effort on
keeping it under 700MB. The only "risk" would be size creep. 790MB
now.. in one year 850Mb and so on. But even that is a non-issue in
the long run.

Really, we're arguing about a meaningless label... calling a 800MB ISO
a USB ISO or a small DVD ISO or a CD Plus ISO... does it matter? Call
it Bob the ISO.... it comes down to size. Allow it to be 800MB, call
is the openSUSE Live Linux or something.. ... and then people burn it
to a SL DVD or write it to USB stick.. the result is the same.

If we call it a USB ISO does that mean you cannot burn it to a SL DVD?
No... so what's the issue here?

Any thinking person of any consequence wants to comment on what I suggested?

Thinking person? You're making a big assumption there. Ha. We're too
busy arguing to sort anything out.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.1 x86_64, KDE 4.8.3