Re: [opensuse-factory] simplicity, WAS: About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:37:46 -0500
On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 20:30 +0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
You don't need an account on Studio/Gallery to download.

Sadly, you do. One wonders how much more adoption of openSUSE could be
had if Gallery never had the login requirement.

I talked to someone in #susestudio a few months back about this, and was
told SUSE decided to have the login because it wanted to keep track of
what downloading were downloading. That's a bit scary if true, but its
their system, their decision.

In any case, IF we do this - Studio/Gallery would need some changes to
make
for a better landing page for openSUSE visitors. I would want it to
be
openSUSE branded and all that.

I believe that something like that could be arranged. After all, it'd
be
nice for Studio promo too ;-)

This would represent a fundamental shift in openSUSE's philosophy, in my
opinion. Are we prepared for this?

I personally love that we have a partnership with SUSE Studio. It is a
great product and we use it frequently in the community and we
wholeheartedly promote SUSE Studio in our talks everywhere.

However, SUSE Studio is not an openSUSE-umbrella'ed project. It is a
SUSE project. Moreover, it is not 100% open source last I heard. At
openSUSE, we take pride in declaring that everything we do under the
openSUSE Project umbrella is 100% open source and usable by anyone, even
if they are not using openSUSE.

If we made Studio the very first thing people have to encounter when
they wish to start using openSUSE, then we are contradicting our own
claim right out of the gate.

Nothing against Studio, mind you. Just that we need to remain true to
our fundamental goals as a Project or take the time to re-define it.

Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Project