Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumblweed and GNOME 3.4.1
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:41:52 -0700
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 12:50:05PM -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I now have GNOME 3.4.1 running in Tumbleweed, but wow, it's tough to get
installed due to some odd dependancies.  Because of that, I don't feel
comfortable moving it to the "main" openSUSE:Tumbleweed repo at this
point in time (it's in openSUSE:Tumbleweed:Testing if anyone wants to
play with it.)

But, I'm sure that people do want to use it, so, any thoughts on what to
do?  Just wait for 12.2 for users to be able to pick this up?  Or beat
on the dependancy tree some more to try to make it easier to upgrade?

thanks,

greg k-h

12.2 looks like it's going to slip for non-GNOME reasons.

Don't give up hope yet :)

I don't run Tumbleweed; I have to hand-tune all the dependencies on my
systems anyway for things like Node.js, Sigil, Calibre and R-base, so
it doesn't really matter to me how I get GNOME updates. ;-)

Have you tried the GNOME:3.4 repo today?  Does that work for you?

thanks,

greg k-h

Not yet - I did try the 12.2 beta with both GNOME and KDE. KDE is a
mess; known upstream KDE bugs send you to the KDE bug tracker to
report them. GNOME looked pretty solid in 12.2 beta but 12.2's GRUB2
is also a mess and I ended up deleting 12.2 and dropping back to 12.1.
I need a solid GRUB2 more than anything else because I'm multi-booting
Windows 7, openSUSE and Fedora. So Fedora is my boot manager for the
time being.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.