And I mean: who has NO alternative and would have to use another Linux if we
would move to 1GB images?

1GB is pretty much acceptable.

I honestly think we're trying to cater to a group of people which doesn't
exist...

They do exist, I have one crap laptop that has a buggy BIOs which
doesn't allow me to boot from USB; Netbooks for example are rare to
have optical media drives. But moving to 1GB is pretty much acceptable
and a far better solution than have zypper pulling stuff after.

So I would suggest we move to 1GB live images. We make sure the USB image
also works from DVD and point people to plop.at in case they can't boot from
USB without a CD. Last but not least, for those really older computers, we
offer a LXDE or XFCE liveCD. Then we cater for everyone.

Up to 1.5 sounds pretty much reasonable to me, Mint does it... and you
don't see many complaints on their foruns...

+1