Re: [opensuse-factory] simplicity, WAS: About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:08:00 -0700
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 09 June 2012 22:33:16 Nelson Marques wrote:
s/KDE/GNOME/g

I like GNOME3. I *use* GNOME3. But I don't see a huge difference
between a Fedora GNOME3 and an openSUSE GNOME3. I think an
openSUSE
KDE can be sigificantly better than Fedora's KDE or Ubuntu's KDE, if
only because of the geographic proximity of some of the core team
members of the two projects.

99% of the universe still refuses to understand that GNOME3 isn't only
about the shell, but it's also a transiction from a traditional code
stack in C that now has a potent set of bindings to other high level
languages (python, java, etc).

Now this creates a lot more of possibilities for new people to enroll,
specially those who don't give a damn about low level stuff and only
want to get their applications. Look... What is easier to refactore,
low level C or python?

If you are skeptical... Do you see Canonical or Mint doing deep core
stuff? ;) Looks like they were the ones with the brains... while all
the others are just following God knows what...

There's also some core "semantic desktop" functionality (Nepomuk) in
KDE that hasn't been surpassed IMHO by anything GNOME, Unity, MATE or
Cinnamon have to offer. I don't think you can even get this on Windows
or a Mac - I've run that by the Nepomuk team and they say it's a lot
of engineering work.

KDE is nice, and my intention isn't to tackle KDE... it's just
claiming that GNOME has no place on a visible openSUSE it the worst
attrocity someone can do. I saw too many people looking forward to
vaporize GNOME2 out of the map... I hope it's clear now that was a
huge mistake... openSUSE is a dead stick if it doesn't change...
people need to be bald and agressive to move openSUSE into the
highlights... KDE isn't going to do that for us ;)

Nobody is - unless we can put in significant effort in one or the other
desktop, it doesn't matter much and we better stick with both. IF we would
be capable of doing something akin to what Ubuntu used to do to GNOME
(before Unity), either to GNOME or KDE - then, yes, focus would be nice. But
until that day we should keep the choices close to the users.

Imho :D

A few releases back, it looked very much like GNOME (2) was falling
out of favor and KDE (4) was getting more love in openSUSE. I switched
from GNOME 2 to KDE 4 for an entire release cycle for that reason.
Part of the problem is where the desktop projects are at any given
point in time. KDE 4 was new and exciting and people wanted to work on
it, GNOME 2 and the slab were old and boring. Then GNOME 3 came along
and KDE 4 was old and boring. ;-)

I'm happy with GNOME 3 but I'm seriously considering switching to KDE
4 because of the semantic desktop capabilities. *All* Linux desktops /
window managers more capable than "twm" can be easily customized to be
visually pleasing and provide a productive workflow. So for me it
comes down to resource usage and the core technologies' capabilities.
KDE used to be a resource hog but it's a lot better now, and I think
Tracker isn't yet up to where Nepomuk is.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.