Re: [opensuse-factory] simplicity, WAS: About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:30:39 +0200

If I were designing the next round of openSUSE, I'd make only the KDE
LiveCD and full install DVD as official branded media and migrate
everything else to SUSE Studio Gallery appliances one could clone,
build and download. I wouldn't even store built appliances - let the
user use his/her own disk space allocation for that.

and the *only* new users to openSUSE will be geeks familiar with kiwi
and
very competent in linux arts.

Downloading a built appliance from SUSE Studio is only a little more
difficult than getting install media from
http://software.opensuse.org/121/en. The only extra step is having to
do a one-time signup and "join the community".

true, but it would be easier, if all of those iso's and images were
available for all, and not just for those with an account.

You don't need an account on Studio/Gallery to download.

In any case, IF we do this - Studio/Gallery would need some changes to make
for a better landing page for openSUSE visitors. I would want it to be
openSUSE branded and all that.

I believe that something like that could be arranged. After all, it'd be
nice for Studio promo too ;-)

Hans