Am 07.06.2012 22:12, schrieb Javier Llorente:

Some of the options we have:

1. Saying goodbye to Live CDs (and building USB live images). Others have
already done that, such as PC-BSD
http://www.pcbsd.org/en/get-it/90-isotope-downloads

2. Removing LibreOffice and GIMP from the Live CD and leaving just English
(no
German).

3. Making the Live CD KDE pure, like Fedora.

There is a fourth option:

4. creating an additional live media flavour besides oS-GNOME-Live and
oS-KDE-Live.

This could serve as some kine of "minimal desktop live CD", with a
second purpose as "comfortable rescue system". My proposal would be to
put the following stuff on it:

* XFCE (my personal choice, but to be debated. We could even go for
icewm, but the problem we have is that we need lots of "fat" stuff
anyway: NetworkManager+applets, a Browser, maybe an Email Client, so
using the relatively fat XFCE might not add too much of an overhead).
* a browser (firefox) and maybe an email client (thunderbird?)
* the chosen desktop should be "complete" and "functional" (i know,
there are different meanings for different people). E.g. keep the
multimedia stuff and the music player included, so that hardware
compatibility can be tested (you don't need MP3 for testing the
soundcard, ogg is just fine for that).
* rescue tools: all filesystem stuff, gparted, gpart, whatever. Maybe
even some forensic stuff, Greg Freemeyer might know what is useful also
for a "normal" user who has "just" killed his partition table and wants
to recover it.
* basic documentation, maybe the man-pages packages. Brian explained the
reasoning for that quite good: "I happen to value documentation on live
media specifically because half the time I'm even USING a live media is
because I'm either installing or repairing or otherwise do not have
normal use of the machine, which may mean no access to internet (at
least via that machine)."

Stuff *I personally* would leave out:
* libreoffice
* gimp
* languages

IIUC there is no real alternative to libreoffice for viewing office
documents (some people realy write their tutorials in MSWord...) but
then there's not much we can do about that. A picture viewer is probably
helpful, but then XFCE's ristretto should do fine. Editing of images is
probably not needed.

Note that I'd really "design" this CD with dual-purpose: useful as a
"purist", "minimalist" desktop for "small is beautiful" geeks and for
basic hardware compatibility tests but also useful as a rescue system
for recovering after you installed grub into the wrong partition.
And I'd actually try to go for less than CD size. We don't need to fill
700MB, a smaller download is always nice.

I never cared for or even thought about the building of the live cds.
What do i need to do to start such a project? Can I test this in my home
in OBS? Or do I need to use SUSE Studio for that?

Anyone interested in doing/using something like that?
It's surely not useful enough for me to do it if I am the only user :-)

Best regards,

seife
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!"