On 07/06/12 15:57, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Hi,

The beta has no libreoffice and no gimp on the live cd - mainly
because their dependencies got blocked (ghostscript and jdk).

Now I tried how much space we need to save to be at 700MB and it's
roughly 80MB, that we are over.

So I wonder: should we screw the medium CD and go officially for
1GB sticks as our medium? (or require DVD medium for non-usb).

The alternative is saving these 80MB by picking something to block.
For your convenience, this is the list of the largest packages
on KDE.i586 - sizes will differ for the other variants of course.
[......]

There are some packages you can't pick and there are packages that will
free more space than there value due to their dependency list.

But as you can see, libreoffice and it's subpackages (plus their
dependencies) is worth ~20% of the live cd space. So realistically,
we have two choices: live CD without libreoffice or live USB with
libreoffice. *Or* we find a way to reduce the size of packages
by splitting things out that are optional and don't need to be on
the live cd (I can hear you say documentation :)

One cannot not have an office suit in a LIVE CD so LibreOffice must stay.

BUT there is no need for any dictionaries.

I don't know what else IS available on the CD for people to try out to be able to play audio CDs but I, personally, have never found amarok useful as an application. Nor do I know if people actually use the LIVE CD to play audio CDs. But if I had a choice I would "lose" amarok.

Further, when I am installing oS one of the first things I do when selecting which applications/files I want installed is to deselect most, if not all, documentation rpms. Therefore, when it comes to a LIVE CD then all documentation should be omitted.

Re the medium to use.

The use of USB sticks is really not something to be seriously considered. Not everyone has the ability to use this medium.

However, there is little difference cost-wise or effort-wise between having to burn a CD and a blank single-layer DVD.

I am NOT talking here about releasing 4.3GB of data to fill a SL DVD but saying that if the volume of data to be downloaded by users is only marginally greater then what would fit on a standard CD then there wouldn't be a problem.

In fact there were a few LIVEs "CD"s recently which I had to burn to a DVD.

Downloading ~800MB to be burnt onto a DVD is acceptable - but not downloading 4.3GB.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE 4.8.3 and kernel 3.4.1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor