On 07.06.2012 07:57, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Now I tried how much space we need to save to be at 700MB and it's
roughly 80MB, that we are over.

So I wonder: should we screw the medium CD and go officially for
1GB sticks as our medium? (or require DVD medium for non-usb).

[...]

But as you can see, libreoffice and it's subpackages (plus their
dependencies) is worth ~20% of the live cd space. So realistically,
we have two choices: live CD without libreoffice or live USB with
libreoffice. *Or* we find a way to reduce the size of packages
by splitting things out that are optional and don't need to be on
the live cd (I can hear you say documentation :)

4GB USB flash drives currently start at ~ €2 and in regions where bandwidth is a serious issue (e.g. Africa or parts of Asia) 300MB isn't going to make a huge difference as people tend to get such media by different means anyway.
Leaving out documentation on a pure live media might be acceptable but not on an installable one where an installed system would end up without any documentation.
So I'd say going for 1GB live images is a practical solution.
--
Guido Berhoerster