Re: [opensuse-factory] Anyone dualbooting 12.1 and 12.2?
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 02:25:08 +0200
On Friday 01 Jun 2012 18:15:08 Martin Schlander wrote:
Has anyone tried installing 12.2 beta (using grub2) in dualboot with an
existing 12.1 system (using legacy grub)?

If yes, does it work right out of the box? Is it seamless? (like
traditionally dualbooting multiple openSUSE versions all using legacy
grub). Anything I should be aware of?

After dd'ing a few things into backup, I installed 12.2 Beta 1 as a physical
installation alongside everything else. Other than changing the default
suggested partition scheme I let the install run it's course, grub2 and all.

I was not expecting any trouble and I didn't encounter any other than the 12.2
specific installation bugs.

openSUSE 12.1, Debian, Fedora and Windows were all gracefully recognised. I
can't comment on the functionality that provides booting from luks or lvm
because my luks and lvm volumes are data rather than system volumes.

I'd like to test 12.2 beta on my real hardware, by installing it on my test
partition. But I'm scared of being left unable to boot my 12.1 production
system. So I'd be happy to hear if others have good (or bad) experiences
with similar setups.

I've yet to encounter even Windows installer butchering without promt
partition tables. What's the worst case? MBR code doesn't point to grub?